Monday, February 1, 2010

It Takes Two To Make A Thing Go Right.....

Now how many of you immediately finished the next line to that song? Those of you who did will understand where I am coming from. I am only 38 years old, so I was not part of the 60s and 70s musical culture.I do, however, have the appreciation for that time period. The 80s and early to mid 90s is much more my wheelhouse when it comes to music.
I was watching a bit of the Grammy's last night. I say I watched a bit because no sane person with any musical taste could possibly have watched the entire thing. My first issue with the Grammy's was the host. How does Stephen Colbert host a music award show? Next, why did anyone show up aside from Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas and Taylor Swift? I think Lady Gaga even won Best Male Pop Vocal Performance! And what the hell is Stevie Nicks doing singing with Taylor Swift? Does she just want to ensure that the world doesn't forget about her?? Best Hard Rock Performance...this category has been a joke since day one. I am a HUGE Jethro Tull fan, but when they beat Metallica in 1986, I knew the category shouldn't exist. This year Linkin Park (not hard rock), ACDC...okay, Rock..not Hard Rock, Nickelback.. NICKELBACK???? This is the biggest flaw in this year's system. They are more along the lines of pussy rock, or pop. The closest Nickelback comes to rock is the first part of their name. I am sure there is a large chunk of nickel in your average rock.
Enough of the Grammy's....that is what I said when I turned the channel, and that is what I am saying now. On to my distaste with music in general. Rap music...yes I said rap music. 1983, RUN DMC stomped on the scene and the world was never the same. Rap was fun, rap told stories that the neighborhood could get behind. Rap was the music of the people, by the people, for the people. House parties thrived on Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, Dana Dane, Jungle Brothers, BDP... these were talented artists with entertaining lyrics. Today's rap artists can't even come up with an original name! "Young" this guy, or "Lil" that guy. If you aren't creative enough to think of a street name, how can I begin to think that your lyrics will be entertaining? There are select artists out there that have maintained tradition, but for every one of them there are 50 guys whose lyrics are "nigga nigga nigga, shoot shoot shoot". And those are the platinum selling artists of today. Kanye...I won't even get into Kanye. I will take KRS One, Rakim, LL Cool J, and Chuck D over any of today's so-called rap artists.
Artists who are more pretentious than this blog? Beyonce, Fergie, Jason Mraz, Kanye, Puff Diddy Daddy Farty Licky,Jay-Z, Usher, Chris Brown and fucking BONO! I am not saying that there are no quality artists left in the world today, but come on people! Music is an ever growing industry, but the goal is to make music BETTER, to evolve. This current de-evolution has driven me mad for way too long. Sound off true believers, Fight for Your Right.....
-Salty Dog
For those of you wishing for more ranting from a like minded individual, please follow this blog as well http://babblingbill.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. No disrespect Jamie....but Bill had one of the best blogs OF ALL TIME.

    That is my Kanye impression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too right with this one. Having two teen girls, Taylor Swift is a household name, and yet when she is live she can't sing at all. As for all older rap, I loved it and now when my house is thumping with this new trash I cringe. I have devoted my time to showing my children what good music really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICKELBACK ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that was too damn funny jamie..... i love it now you shoulda said something about michael and then we could have sent it to TW for a nice reading... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes two to make it outta sight....

    That being said: Nickelsack (or Nickelsuck) NEVER did anything to qualify as rock, much less hard rock. Their lyrics are puerile and pedantic, but I guess when you cater to the lowest common denominator it's to be expected. I've heard more meaningful shit come out of Britney Spears' blowhole...seriously!

    I am, however, waiting with breathless an...tici.......PATION for the Lady (??) Gaga Hustler spread. You know Larry's just going to put that shit in the magazine raw - no airbrushing, so I am looking for scars. Off topic, but I am also waiting for the raw pics of Chyna - you know there's a mysterious scar above that lady ballfro.

    But I digress; If it is true that art immitates life then the state of music reflects the state of the world - COMPLETELY FUCKED UP WITH FEW SPINELESS, TALENTLESS AND WHOLLY CORRUPT ASSHOLES IN CHARGE.

    ReplyDelete