Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fast Food?

Braved the blistering winds, snow blowing sideways, and freezing temperatures to run down to the local Wendy's. All I was trying to do was to get a Chicken BLT salad and a large chili. Does this sound like a difficult task? Does this sound like an unreasonable request? I say nay.

I walk into Wendy's (drive thru was full) and there were two people ahead of me. Sweet, short line, I am doing well so far. The fact that there are two registers open makes me feel even better...in and out, nice. But again, I say nay...both cashiers appear to be waiting on people that they have known forever, but haven't seen in 10 years. They are (loudly, I may add) discussing their lives as if they were being interviewed by Barbara Walters. Notice me, do they? Third time's a charm, so I say nay.

Finally, I get to the register! The cashier..painted on red pants...still pulled down to show 6 inches of underwear...visor cocked to the side, shirt tucked in..wait for it... to his underwear!!! He takes my order. Chicken BLT Salad and a large chili. He takes my money, hands me my receipt and walks away. Fine by me, I couldn't look at him anymore without becoming violent anyway. So there I stand, reading the menu (no one to talk to, nothing else to read) when I realize..it has been about 10 minutes and still no salad or chili. One of the two guys in the back (let's call them Chefs, for lack of a better term) notices me standing there. Hard to do, I know, me being the only one in the Wendy's waiting area and all. He calls Red Pants, whose real name is apparently Yo. Why "Yo", you may ask? Because when the Chef called him he said, "Hey Yo, there is a guy up here".

Here comes Yo, and he says, "What were you waiting on again?" (Again, the ONLY guy in Wendy's that doesn't work there). I said, "Chicken BLT Salad and a Large Chili". Yo then informs me that they are not serving the Chicken BLT Salad today. Do I care why? You guessed it...Nay. I substitute a Chicken Caesar Salad for the BLT. They happen to be serving THAT one today...maybe my luck is turning. But when Yo comes back to the register and hands me the bag with my substitute salad in it, there is still no chili. I remind Yo that I also ordered (and payed for) a Large Chili. He then informs me that there is no chili today. I lost it! I said...and you can quote me on this one..."What the fuck DO you have today?" Yo then began to apologize. He said that all he does is punch in the order and take my money, it is the Chefs that are responsible for the rest, and they did not notify him that they were out of chili today. I told Yo to just give me my Substitute Salad and my money back for the Large Chili that they are not serving today.

My total time in Wendy's tonight? 22 minutes. Now, how does 22 minutes qualify as "Fast Food"? When I am receiving phone calls from my wife wondering where I am, that is no longer Fast anything. I understand that the majority of personnel working in these types of establishments are not the most motivated group of individuals. I know that if I go into Wendy's during a normal meal hour, I expect to wait in line. Once I make it to the register though....FAST FOOD dammit, FAST-FOOD.

Alright true believers, I believe that is enough on this topic. It is time to pull this ride into a rest area so that everyone can at least stretch their legs. Tune in next time...same Salty Time, same Salty Channel!

-Salty Dog

4 comments:

  1. I had to share this one with the hubby, simply because of the looks I was getting while laughing my ass off reading it. The magical way you have with words keeps me in hysterics! Living here in this little town I can assure you the two fast food places we have would make "Yo" and his fellow employees seem like brain surgeons. One night at the local McDonalds I got to sit and watch my hubby and son eat while waiting for my food. As they were finishing their first Big Macs (it was buy one get one for a dollar, so ofcourse two were needed), hubby realized I did not have my food. He went and asked about it and within oh five minutes I had the wrong sandwich delivered to me. I would have just ate however it was cold. Let's just say by the time I got my correct order we were walking out the door to go home. I would like to add we were the only three in there. Totally mentally handicapped people work there. I know your frustration and feel your pain and aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Yo's twin cousin works at the Wendys in Enid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do "fast food" very often but when I do the thing that really bugs me is how all the minimum wage, no ambition, apathetic "servers" try to make ME feel like an idiot by talking in fast food code. "So you want the combo 3 supersized" or if I order a kids pack "What do you want in it" Well on the board it says "Kids Pack" $3.49 it does not have options, how do I know that I can choose between hot dog, grilled cheese, burger, chicken nuggets, or chicken pieces? That really gets up my nose. And then they look at me as if I am the idiot and wasting their time. I mean what else would they be doing "txtng a frnd" and thats another thing but lets not go there now....

    ReplyDelete