Monday, December 30, 2013

Breach of Contract

Welcome back, faithful followers. As many of you know, my blog is normally for me to have fun. I like to pick on the stupid things in life, point out ridiculous stories that I find, and complain about Netflix not carrying BJ and the Bear (that one I am serious about!). Today I am here with a legitimate bitch, even though it may be a selfish one. I know that I am not the only one out there who will be affected by this...hell, not even the only one of my friends.

My blog has never been political, or about politics at all. Today, we change that. When I joined the Navy in 1991, I was promised (in writing) a few things by the United States Government upon my completion of 20 years of service. Among those promises were a guarantee that I would receive 50% of my base pay per month, I would be able to retire at the age of 39, I would receive a blue ID card (and all benefits that the card includes), free medical coverage for all service connected injuries, and an annual cost of living allowance increase (COLA)...to name a few. There is currently a bill in Congress that is taking away the annual COLA for "non retirement age retirees". Now, when you read "non retirement age retirees", that may be confusing. When you do 20 years in the military, you are eligible to retire (from the military). "Retirement age" for the rest of the country is 62. So...being 42 and retired, makes me one of those non retirement age guys. What this means is, until I turn 62 years old I will not receive the COLA that the government guaranteed me...in writing. This turns out to be about 120,000.00 that I lose over that 20 year period.  This doesn't seem right to me.

I was no desert warrior over my 20 year career. I was not haze grey and underway for 20 years straight. I did, however, go when/where I was told to go...stay on the ship while in port because we were fast cruising...give up my right knee to the Navy due to years of steel decks..miss my family for months on end. I did what I agreed to do when I signed the dotted line and raised my right hand. Now, the government is changing the rules, after I fulfilled my end of the deal. This is a giant crock of shit. So tell me, Congress...tell me where I failed to live up to my end. Was it that I didn't lose my family because of the time you kept me away? Was it that I didn't give you BOTH of my knees? Was it my complaints to Netflix about BJ and the Bear not being in their library? Where was it that I failed to uphold my end of the contract? So if I, a lowly Deck Ape, can do what I promise...why is it that you, the United States Government, can't do the same?

What this boils down to, is a simple Breach of Contract. What course of action do we have? If we didn't hold up our end of the deal..the Gov't would take action. We, the People....can take no such action. I know that this will fall on deaf ears, but I needed to get it out of my head. Thanks for taking the time to read. Any help or info on where to go next is welcome. Until next time...Stay Salty.

-Salty Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment