Monday, July 23, 2012

Cows Hate Gay Community?

Welcome back true believers! I have just finished pouring steak sauce on my digital copy of Fifty Shades of Gray. The downside to that is that I now have to clean it out of my keyboard (the steak sauce that is). So what is it that brings fingers to those steak sauce coated keys today? Is it to declare to the world that Mitt Romney is an android of C-3PO proportions? Is it to talk about high waisted midgets wearing red pants? Is it once again to plead with you all to petition Netflix to stream BJ and the Bear? Nay nay.....it is to talk about the city that I hate most in the world (mostly for sports affiliation reasons); Boston, MA.

Let me start by stating that gay or straight, black or white, (or Olive...Terence) everyone should have the same rights in this country. This is the land of the free, the home of the brave...you know the song. If you live in this country; whether born here, immigrated here, floated here on a raft made of toilet paper rolls and old phone book pages...however you got here....you are here. Bring me your poor, your tired, your huddled massess yearning to be free? Anyone...ring any bells? But this is not about immigration, this is about Chick Fil A! How in the hell could this be about Chick Fil A? Let me begin the story....

Chick Fil A (great chicken sandwiches, slick marketing using the cows with sandwich boards) is a highly religious organization. They are closed on Sundays, they are family oriented, and when they serve you...it is their pleasure (just listen when you say "thank you"). The Chick Fil A President (Dan Cathy) has been on record stating that he (and his company) is pro god, and therefore anti-gay. I am not going to go in to a religious rant, even though religion makes good comedy. I am going to say that donating money to "anti-gay" organizations is not great for business, Danny Boy. I am not going to try to defend my statements by saying "I have gay friends", just like I would never defend racist statements by saying "I have black friends"...but I DO have friends..that happen to be gay. When it comes to my friends, it is like messing with my family....you aren't going to do it and get away with it. How does any of this relate to Boston?

May 17th, 2004 Massachusetts began allowing same sex marriages (strangely, then Robotic Governor Mitt Romney was at the helm). From this day on, Massachusetts has been (for lack of a better term) Gay Friendly. This is something that people have grown quite accustomed to. So, when Chick Fil A (anti-gay cows, remember?) decided that they wanted to open up shop in the metropolis that is Boston...Mayor Tom Menino said, you guessed it, "Nay nay". Does he have the power to keep out large companies that could help his local economy (and serve some mean chicken sandwiches) because he doesn't believe in what they stand for? Just ask Wal Mart. He kept them out of the area just because he didn't like their labor policies. Hmmm...Wal Mart...another bible thumping company kept out of Boston. I am beginning to like this guy Menino even more! So let us review here... religious grocery store? Nay. Religious chicken stand? Nay. Is Boston anti religion all of a sudden? Sorry, had to get a swipe in at the home of the hated Red Sox. I can't have you guys liking Boston all of a sudden.

Once again...chicken - good, gay hating cows - bad. Is this going to stop me from eating at Chick Fil A? Nay...I am not that politically motivated to do ANYTHING. Will I support Tom Menino is his decision to keep them out of Boston for the sake of preserving his "gay friendly" appearance? Hell yes. There is no one in this country that should be treated any differently just because they like members of the same sex. I think Dan Cathy is just upset that no gay guys have ever hit on him, and this is his way to get back at them. Just because he isn't gay (or is he a classic self loather?) doesn't mean he wouldn't like to get hit on to make him feel wanted! Okay children...it is time for me to make like a tree and get out of here. Until next time...Stay Salty!

-Salty Dog

1 comment:

  1. On behalf of all Olivians, I thank you my brother.

    ReplyDelete