Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Aggression

Welcome back true believers. As some of you may recall, I started this blog to let out thoughts and feelings that, if kept inside, would eat me alive. I have not needed to use it for anything but promoting my friends' endeavors and exploiting stupidity in the news for a long while. Today your friend, and humble narrator needs to unload.

Have you ever been standing in your kitchen making breakfast...no one around to cause you any reason to be irritated...the skies are sunny, the birds are chirping, yet out of nowhere you feel the need to tear someone's head off of their neck? Well that is where I am today. Let me first state that no one has done anything to me today to put me in this mood, it just kind of happened. Steve, I know you are going to read this and yes...your wife will probably be mentioned as the page goes on...I don't know yet. I tend to write what comes to mind, which is why my blog is sometimes incoherent (but read the title..I have said that would happen from day one).

As most of you know, I have an overwhelming love for old school hip hop. This is usually my music of choice during the day. I will put on my iTunes and let Run DMC or the Fat Boys roll all day long. Or I will turn on Backspin on XM and enjoy the ride. Today has been different...I started my day with Hatebreed's "I Will Be Heard" and it has gotten more and more aggressive as the day has drawn on. Static X's "Bled For Days" has been the highlight of my day. What is the problem? Am I being possessed by the spirit of some whiny emo kid? Am I doing my impression of Droopy? Nay nay... I am just fed up.

I love coaching little league baseball. I like being on the Board of Directors for little league. I am at the field between 4-5 days/nights per week. I love being out there and helping the kids get better, watching them grow as players and as people. What I hate is the bullshit that goes on with the adults that are supposed to be there for the kids. I say the "adults" and use that term very loosely. There are coaches out there that have no right being role models for children. Yes, they pass the background check. All that means is that they aren't kid touchers. There are adults out there arguing with each other in front of the kids...adults that are "coaching" the same team! Adults that can't handle a simple dispute with two children on the field or in the dugout. Adults that coddle their children like they are 4 years old and alienate others on the same team. As for the board of directors portion...I have two roles on the board. I am the Secretary and the Sponsorship Coordinator. I am not Fred Grandy from the Love Boat. There are 11 members of the board...and let me say that most of them are very active in the league. But the members that are very active do EVERYTHING. There are members that don't do shit. What do we do about them? Nothing..we just do the work for them. Are these people on the board because we need to fill positions? Are they there because they are friends of other members? I can't answer that question because we are too busy doing their jobs to worry about it.

Baseball...love it. Next issue? My home. My wonderful wife told me when I retired that I needed to go to college because the VA was going to pay for it..as well as pay me to go. So I am now a college student. My poor wife is also a college student, and working two jobs. I never get to spend time with her anymore. I thought being retired I would have all the time in the world to hang out with her. Go to movies in the middle of the day, go out to lunch whenever we felt like it...pipe dream, I know. But with school, work, baseball....I never get to see her anymore.

I would apologize to you all for dumping this here, but this is my blog..not yours. For those that made it this far...thank you for indulging me. For those that didn't...well they aren't reading this anyway. I am hoping that all of this aggression will work its way out of my system before 5:00 this evening because I have a baseball game to manage tonight. Unlike some of the other "adults" at the field, my team looks to me to be the stable one on the field. Until next time my friends...Stay Salty.

-Salty Dog

1 comment:

  1. Well brother man, it seems you find yourself on the horns of a dilemma. What's the possibility of getting these assholes to sign a Code of Conduct agreement - parents, players and board members. It is in the best interests of everyone involved and would force people to behave themselves or risk ejection from the area by the coach.

    I think that no less should be expected from both parents and board members (getting the kids to sign a code of conduct would be just a formality so that their whiny fucking parents don't go "What about the kids"?)

    ReplyDelete