Monday, September 27, 2010

Military Apprectiation

Welcome back true believers! I have been gone for a bit due to my crippling knee surgery. Well, the surgery wasn't bad, but the therapy three times a week is pretty tough. But therapy and my knee aren't what bring me back to my keyboard. What brings my focus back to this blog is yet another disturbing story posted by the main stream media about stupid stuff done by military members.

Now I am sure that all of you have people that you work with that do stupid things. The odd DWI, domestic violence, the list goes on. Every time something like that happens at your job, does it make it on the local news? Nay, I didn't think so. Yet every time a sailor or a soldier makes that same type of mistake...the media is everywhere making sure that the public knows about it. The most recent incident is a tragic one, and honestly (in my opinion) one that doesn't need to be public knowledge. Article Here.

There are things that you see in Iraq and Afghanistan that shouldn't be seen. They are sending kids there that have no military experience, no life experience, and they are throwing them to the wolves. Do they perform regular psych evals on these kids? Nay nay. They just assume that they will go out, do their job and come home the same as they were when they left. Bad things happen to good people, and the media tells us all about it. Where are the articles about the rebuilding of schools? About water treatment facilities we are building? About all the training that we are giving people so that they can survive on their own? About the community relations projects we perform like painting churches (yes, we volunteer to do stuff like that)?  No, we don't get news coverage for the good things that we do, only for the messed up stuff that the minority does.

Now it isn't "This one guy, or small group of one unit within one command of one armed force messed up". Nay nay...it is "The Military" that is all jacked up. After 20 years of faithful, zealous, and obedient service to the United States Navy, I have grown tired of "Support the Troops" being pushed by the media, and them turning around and shafting us to the public. Don't get me wrong, I know that there is a portion of the population that actually understands...they support the military because they know that we didn't choose this fight, but we are the ones sent to do the job. They support the kids that are giving up their time at school, and with their friends and families to go and fight a war that they don't even understand. They don't know why they are there..they just know that it is their duty to go there and do what they are told.

As my time in service comes to a completion, I know that I will continue to "Support the Troops". I will not have a bumper sticker saying it, but I will forever understand the plight that my brothers and sisters are facing. Yes they volunteered for this. Some because they want their college paid for. Some because they can't find a job. Some because they don't want to go to school anymore. And then there are some, like your friend and humble narrator, that do it for love of country. They feel that it IS their job, it IS their duty, it IS what they need to do. To go out and fight all enemies, both foreign and domestic, that could bring harm to their country, their family, their friends, and those that they don't even know. So before you go and judge the entire military on the mistakes of a few tormented or misguided individuals...think of all the others. Think of those that are out there serving faithfully so that you don't have to. Until next time...Stay Salty.

-Salty Dog

3 comments:

  1. Like it. Love it. Wish people would live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly articulated as always Jamie. I really think that more of the assholes who run this country should be forced to serve or their kids should be forced to serve - let's see how much bad press the Military would get then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad Press Would Continue... 40 years ago I was agaisnt the draft, now as I've grown older I'm for it. With a draft moms and dads would have to pay more attention to whats going on in the world. Twixt and tween here, because of the all volunteer thingee, but realize that some kids fresh out of high school are clueless as to what they are signing up for. I served my country, proud of it, but have long realized that war is not the answer, and being tricked into one is insane. We need to defend our country and let the folks who will do us harm that there is a price to pay, and it's not spending millions and billions rebuilding iraq and afghanistan.. CBS

    ReplyDelete